Wednesday, April 29, 2009

leave the tough decisions to an 11 month old

Raspberries.. that's the noise I heard from my twin daughters as I pondered on which new food to try today.. yup, that's right - never tried 'em. Well, didn't get fat and unfit making confident and sensible food choices!

Label suggested letting them get to room temperature after washing and adding to whipped cream and dolloping onto meringue nests. Yum. Looked forward to it all day, hoping I wasn't going to face a lychee-type disappointment.

After a day of being stuck in the house with a sore throat and trying to save points (got attacked by a packet of chocolate covered raisins last night) I had just 2 points left to use. Really didn't fancy them on their tod, and was about to start sulking when I noticed Malachi grin and giggle eating his raspberry and vanilla yoghurt. Oh yes. A meringue nest, 120g vanilla WW yoghurt and 100g raspberries. A bowl of heaven for 1.5 points.

Totally made up for my upset yesterday, a 1,000 times yummier. healthier and more satisfying than a muller light!

Raspberries contain significant amounts of antioxidants, linked to potential health protection against several human diseases. They are a rich source of dietary fibre (30% daily value per serving), vitamin C (about 50% daily value) and manganese (about 60% daily value). Contents of B vitamins 1-3, folic acid, magnesium, copper and iron are considerable in raspberries.

Raspberries rank near the top of all fruits for antioxidant strength. Due to their rich contents of antioxidant and vitamin C, raspberries have an oxygen radical absorbance capacity value of about 4900 per 100 grams, including them among the top-ranked ORAC fruits.

Preliminary medical research shows likely benefit of regularly consuming raspberries against:

  • inflammation and pain
  • cancer
  • cardiovascular disease
  • diabetes
  • allergies
  • cognitive decline
  • degeneration of eyesight

4 comments:

  1. I loooove raspberries, but don't buy them as they are quite expensive for the amount in the punnet. ;o(

    Glad you liked them though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore raspberries, but same as Enigmanda. Yours is a very inspiring story, and your willpower is amazing, even though you probably don't always feel that way! I've got about 140 to lose, and I've not managed to set my mind to it. I've just started a blog to journal about my own weight loss struggles. Here's hoping I'm as successful as you've been!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love them but can't get past the seeds. wtf can't we get seedless ones yet??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm! Good for you for trying so many fabulous new foods!

    I heart raspberries -- but BLACKberries are my fav!

    ReplyDelete