Tuesday, June 30, 2009

halfway through - pushups week 3.

Looked at this weeks numbers and wanted to hide, preferably on a comfy sofa munching rich tea biscuits and honey.. but Sam was watching, busy playing with the halflings so I could do my exercise, and so I did them.

Day 1


21 - 25 push ups
set 1
12
set 2
17
set 3
13
set 4
13
set 5
max (at least 17)

I did 20 for my max! From out of nowhere came some motivation to push myself just that little bit further, and I did it. End of the first set I felt like I wanted to quit. After the second my arms burned. Sets 3 and 4 were OK, but I felt totally spent. After a good 2 minutes swearing into a pillow I got on with the last set and broke 20. 75 for the day!! Wow! OK, maybe this is working, crappy as it may feel. I am NOT a quitter.

Day 2
set 1
14
set 2
19
set 3
14
set 4
14
set 5
max (at least 19)

This is the last day I didn't *have* to do 20 in one set, so I felt like I should just enjoy that and only do the 19 on set 5... but, seeing as I need to work *really* hard in the hope of seeing the back off these next 5lbs to reach my goal of 75lbs off, I pushed and pushed and did 25 on the last set. I'm still groaning my way through the first 2 sets, asking myself why on earth I am doing this to myself while "recovering" after set 2. Sam answered "no pain, no gain" - mocking me I'm certain, surely he's fully aware I want neither pain NOR a gain...

Anyhow, with Seth by my side for set 5, imitating me gasping out the numbers "niii-ne-teen.. oufff... twen-teeey.. ack!" I completed the day to a fine mist of lady sweat and a fabulous 86 for the day. Woohoo, not long and I will be managing 100 over the 5 sets! (I am still fairly convinced that I will not be able to manage 100 in a row, I really feel that I am not getting stronger, just becoming a more well-practiced masochist).

Day 3
set 1
16
set 2
21
set 3
15
set 4
15
set 5
max (at least 21)

Whoop, I'm halfway through. Still hating every moment, but I am halfway through those moments.. determined to finish what I have started. 9 more sessions. I can do this. Definately feeling increased strength now, wasn't easy by any stretch of the imagination - but the jarring pain in my wrists wasn't flaring today, and the burn was getting towards the "good" pain feeling.. maybe I will get to the point where I actually like doing these? Won't hold my breath though. Pushed for the last set and did 26.. so the most I've done in a row so far. 93 for today.

Week 3, 254 pushups. Hello toned upper arms, goodbye chicken wings.

1 comment:

  1. dude! well done on the chicken wing banishing!

    ReplyDelete