Thursday, July 09, 2009

day one down..

and I have managed to resist temptation and be wheat free since 5pm yesterday. Did a mad clear through of the kitchen, getting rid of anything that would be a stumbling block for me, then baked myself a batch of blueberry and walnut muffins to say farewell to wheat, yum.

Once the last crumb was gone, I brushed myself down and checked the time - 17:00 9th July. Buh bye wheat. Jumped on the scales to see scary weight of 162. Erk.


In the last 30 hours I have said no to a lot of foods that I would have, without a backwards glance, have eaten. Even though I knew I hadn't the points. Having the rule of no wheat somehow is working for me.

No fish and chips, as the cod is battered. (saved 18 points)
No taxi bars, would have scoffed a few. (around 5 points)

Instead of crumpets (4 points) toast and jam (5 points) and pancakes (5 points) for breakfast, I made them for everyone else and then had a bowl of porridge.

I avoided picking at the kids cocktail sausages, gold bars and crisps during the day, instead snacking on fruit and making myself a proper lunch of chilli con carne. Ignored the boys leftover burgers and pasta too - more wheat.

At the shops I was devastated to discover that my Green and Blacks Butterscotch choccy had wheat in the ingredients. Boohoo. Sam got his Lyles golden syrup ice cream, cos it's safe.. more wheat. In fact most everything that made my eyes go big and round contained wheat.

Have Oatibix to try in place of my beloved Weetabix (which I have loved - and overeaten - since I was a baby) will see what I make of it come day 2.

2 comments:

  1. I thought you could use this recipe. I love them. Diet or no...

    Diet Pancake Recipe
    * ½ Cup Old Fashioned oatmeal (not instant)
    * ¼ cup low fat cottage cheese
    * 4 egg whites
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    * ¼ teaspoon cinnamon (I use more)
    * ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
    * 1-2 packets splenda
    * a handful blueberries or whatever fruit you want.
    Process all ingredients except fruit in a blender until smooth. Add fruit and spray a non stick pan or skillet with cooking spray. Add batter and cook over medium heat until both sides are lightly browned.
    I got this recipe from the South Beach diet.
    Try it and let me know if you like them!
    Andrea
    Good luck with the coming weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you,i suffer far less hunger pangs,both the kind in my belly and the thoughts in my head ,if I am wheat free!

    ReplyDelete