Monday, February 11, 2013

Spent by Spelt

Weds
38/26 ProPoints
2 litres
0.7 miles

Thurs
42/26 ProPoints
2 litres
0.3 miles

Fri
??? ProPoints
2 litres
2.2 miles

Sat
??? ProPoints
1 litre
0.5 miles

Sun
??? ProPoints
1 litre
2.5 miles


Tuesday night, Sam brought home a spelt loaf that had been recommended by a coeliac friend as fantastic, and safe.

Posted very excitedly to Facebook - lots of excited discussion followed about the possibilities if I could tolerate spelt. After an hour I had not had my usual reaction to wheat, and figured I was good.


I ate a couple slices, then craved more and more grain foods through the day. By the evening I felt awful.
Finally twigged later that night that the gluten was hurting me.

 Am sat with achey joints in arms and back, gut ache and other digestive 'ishoos'. Have had a bit of dizziness in the last few hours too, and felt v lethargic. Not unlike I feel after oats TBH, but more obvious effect on mobility - hanging laundry just now took twice as long and hurt. :(
.... 
 Felt similarly recently after some flapjack, but assumed it was a too much sugar/carbs thing. Now wondering if I need to seriously look at cutting all gluten (as really it wouldn't make much difference to my normal diet now, would just mean not grabbing convenience crap, which is no bad thing) 

Thursday was written off. Breathless, stitches, pain. I almost cried trying to pull myself into my clothes to get to kettlebells in the evening though. Realised that aside from my weakness, there was no way I could be in a room with other humans and squat for 45 minutes without causing severe damage to my dignity and their noses.

Friday I was craving crap all day. Sam was away overnight, and after lounging about most of the day, I had enough energy to pull us all out to get Seth to his swimming lesson. Getting home and everyone ready for bed took every last bit of energy, and I collapsed onto the sofa and watched some crappy romance film to make me feel better.

Saturday I felt less pain, just wiped. Still craving sugar, and lots of it. Feeling anxious and snappy. Got back on top of the housework a bit, talked myself out of a binge and calmed down. Got an early night ready to get back to 'real life' the next day.

Today I got up, cooked brunch, cleaned out the reptiles and showered (minor victory) before getting out (on time, another victory) to my opticians appointment. Have new prescription for glasses, and some awesome Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles boxers that I found at Sports Direct after.
Home, had chinese (just duck and veg for me, yum) to celebrate the new year, and then spent a while planning tomorrows Beavers meeting. Too cold/nasty to go for a run, considering that I've not worked out for a WEEK. So I did the last day of dips, before my final test on Tuesday.

Week 6 Day 3 Level 3 : Total Reps - 328
Sets - 33, 33, 43, 49, 34, 34, 28, (80+)
performed +2 on last set - Total Reps - 330

Felt good getting the dips done, realising that my body has healed. Not looking forward to the scales tomorrow, but that's going to be ok, as long as I can get back to the stuff that makes me fit. After everyone had gone to bed, I picked up my (little! pink!) weight and threw it about a bit

Warm up 
20 squats
10 lateral twists each side
20 squats
Side stretch 10 each side

15 chest squats
15 l wrap squats
15 r wrap squats
(15 bicep curls)
15 chest squats
15 l wrap squats
15 r wrap squats
(15 bicep curls 
15 shoulder press
15 tricep press)

15 chest squat & press
15 l wrap squat & press
15 r wrap squat & press 
(15 bicep curls)
15 chest squat & press
15 l wrap squat & press
15 r wrap squat & press
(15 bicep curls 
15 shoulder press
15 tricep press)

15 double swings
15 single left swings 
15 single right swings
(30 bicep curls)
30 double swings
30 single left swings 
30 single right swings
30 alternating swings 
(30 bicep curls 
30 shoulder press
30 tricep press)

Cool down stretches

Gutted that I've lost a week (and gained around 7-10lbs going by previous experience, will find out tomorrow) to a couple slices of bread. It's made the decision to stay grain free so, so easy though. I am going to cut all gluten now. I can see that oats/rye etc is slowly taking away health, and it's just not food I need.
The weight I can handle. I still fit fine in the clothes I wore last week. It will come off again. The poor health, missing out on things I want to do. The pain. Not ok with me. Not at all.

tl;dr All Gluten Bad. No more grains. 

No comments:

Post a Comment