Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Hairy Dieters Challenge

I am so enjoying cooking the recipes from The Hairy Dieters book. I've tried cooking a few times, and while I'm not ever going to blow the socks off the people I feed, I don't char everything to death either. Still, I've never really *really* given myself a chance to get confident in any cooking skills.

I tend to find a recipe I like, do it over and over and add it to a (very short) list of 'things I can make'. This has meant that despite over 12 years of cooking for myself, I've not really learnt to do much from scratch. Instead I got swallowed by obesity, and my packet food binge eating, only to get 'better' by moving on to 'bung it out of the jar and into the oven' food preparation. Over the last 4 years I have tried a handful of recipes, got stuck on a few foods I liked and not really been adventurous in attempting new things.

I want to broaden my foodie horizons. To eat less volume, but a MUCH wider variety. And to put each ingredient in, knowing that there are no hidden nasties. I want to help my children grow up knowing what they're eating, and how to make it. I want to own a spice rack that's not for decoration.

Flicking through the book again, I can see the pages I've tried out already, where I've folded the page tops. I'm really enjoying everything about Dave & Si's book - it's easy to follow, and so tasty. I've managed to tweak a few recipes already to keep the ProPoints values low without skimping on any flavour. I'm enjoying the challenge of making it all gluten free as well. I want to keep myself trying new things, I want to make each recipe in that book this year. I want that whole book folded down!

So, I'm going to work my way through, jot down recipes and pictures, and how I've tweaked things and link back to here each time I make a new dish!

Breakfast and Brunch

One-Pan Dishes
Grills and Roasts
Pies
Stews
Vegetables and Salads
  • Posh Prawn Cocktail
  • Chicken Caeser Salad
  • Chilli Salad Bowls
  • Cumin-Crusted Vegetables
  • Good Basic Mixed Salad
  • Beetroot Salad with Yoghurt and Cumin Seeds
  • Warm Griddled Vegetables
  • Fruity Rice Salad
  • Fennel and Orange Salad with Harissa Dressing
Fakeaways
  • Sweet and Sour Chicken
  • Chicken Korma
  • Fragrant Pork and Prawn Noodle Broth
  • Lamb, Spinach and Potato Curry
  • Chicken Jalfrezi
  • Coconut Prawn Curry
  • Very Easy Thai Chicken and Coconut Curry
Pasta and Rice
  • Home-Made Butternut Squash Tortellini
  • Beachside Paella
  • Chilli Lemon Tuna and Broccoli Spaghetti
  • Chicken and Mushroom Risotto
  • Southern-Style Jambalaya
  • Italian Meatballs with Chunky Tomato Sauce
  • Chilli Con Carne
  • Rich and Meaty Bolognese
Puddings and Cakes
Lunch Boxes and Snacks
  • Tuna Niçoise Wrap
  • Simple Tuna and Sweetcorn Pasta Salad
  • Topless Sandwiches
  • Egg, Bacon and Asparagus Flan
  • Cheese, Leek and Onion Pasties
  • Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
  • Snacks - make the pate!

No comments:

Post a Comment