Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Running woes.. or the grump strikes

Good day yesterday. Sam weighed in at home and hit his 5% from his top weight. He's down 15.5lbs now, another 5.5lbs to be out of the obese bracket. Think he has another 4-5lbs to drop to hit 5% at meeting, but he should hit both that and the BMI < 30 for Easter. Whoot.


Gym yesterday, put the weights up and reps down again. Really felt those muscles work doing these, making sure I did them with proper form, and breathing. Need to stop those bad habits forming!

Treadmill - 1 mile 9:54

Shoulder press 30kg 3x5
Fly  55kg 3x5
Leg press 105kg 3x5
Leg extension 65kg 3x5
Adductor 42kg 3x5
Abductor 63kg 3x5
Pulldown 55kg 3x5

Static plank 3x 45 seconds
Russian twists w/medicine ball 16 taps in all 3 sets
Reverse curls 3x16 
Renegade rows 3x16

I'd realised the day before that I would have to do my run at the gym, and sulked about it. I hate running on the treadmill. So much.


But I did it. Set the pace to 9.7 km per hour, and put it up for the last minute, meaning that I did a mile in 9:54. Under 10 minutes, wahey! Getting there.

Had a busy night at Beavers, and was very ready for my bed when it got to 11pm. Need to be careful that I'm getting as much sleep as I can, pretty sure crappy late bedtimes and sluggish mornings have not been helping me the last couple months.

At 6.30am I was out to the gym again. Trying to see if earlier start and getting going first thing will work better for my body clock. Didn't do much cardio as I'm hoping to get out and do a longer run tonight, so warmed up with a 6kph 5 minute walk on an incline before doing the weights.

Treadmill - fit test vo2 35

Shoulder press 27.5kg 3x5
Fly  55kg 3x5
Leg press 105kg 3x5
Leg extension 65kg 3x5
Adductor 42kg 3x5
Abductor 63kg 3x5
Pulldown 50kg 3x5

Russian twists w/medicine ball 16 taps in all 3 sets
Reverse curls 3x16
Woodchops 3x16

The sun was SHINING, and outside felt ok, not too cold, could go without a hat even. We decided that meant we had to hit the park. Was so goos to spend 3 hours outdoors with the kids, we went over to the shops and grabbed bits for dinner tonight, and the freefrom stuff I need that Asda don't stock.



Once back home I did some meal planning for the next week. I noticed today that after starting the day with a workout I feel less hungry, want real food rather than 'treats' and feel more awake/less on edge. It could be a fluke, but I really think that morning workouts, as unlike 'me' as I think it would be, may be a plan. At the end of the day, the habits that made 'me', made me ill.

Knew that my run tonight had to be a longer one. I was so nervous. I've not run 5k in ages, and my last 10k training run was 2 weeks ago. Add to that the daily runs, gym workout this morning, and 6-8 mile walk today... I was ready for a night on the sofa with a book.

Then I saw this pop up on facebook. Reposted it, and chucked my gear on.


It wasn't an easy run. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't easy either. And I ran the last 10 minutes uphill. Ugh. Or, rather, I ran/walked them. Still, managed 4.05 miles in 50 minutes (including 10 minutes walking) which works out at 5k in 35:26, so my pace wasn't worse than usual. My head can STFU!

No comments:

Post a Comment